Your asphalt shingle roof works to keep your home safe and damage-free from the harsh elements. It makes this possible not only because of the shingles–which are the most visible part of the system–but due to the crucial layer of components underneath them, as well. These include the underlayment, which can directly affect your roof’s longevity and stability. StormROOF Systems, LLC, the trusted storm damage repair company in the area, shares what makes the underlayment important.
1. It serves as a moisture barrier. The underlayment is a water-resistant and waterproof material installed between the shingles and the roof deck. It adds an extra layer of protection to your system by preventing any water or moisture (that somehow seeped through the shingles) from reaching the deck. The roof underlayment comes in many different types, including:
- Asphalt-saturated, which is the most common and cost-effective option available today. It’s flexible, and offers sufficient water resistance to keep your roof intact.
- Non-bitumen synthetic, which is basically an upgraded version of asphalt-saturated, and is generally applied on the entire roof. Most roof repair and installation companies use this option, along with–
- Rubberized asphalt, which is considered the premium choice for underlayment. Because it uses a higher percentage of asphalt and rubber polymer, rubberized asphalt allows for complete waterproofing action. It’s costlier, however.
2. It prevents leaks. Without an underlayment, your roof will be more susceptible to water infiltration. This allows for massive leaks which, in turn, leave your home vulnerable to damage and encourage the growth of mold and mildew.
3. It extends your roof’s life. By keeping your roof sturdy and leak-free, the underlayment eliminates the potential for serious damage, ensuring reliable and longer-lasting water performance. This means you won’t have to worry as much about extensive repair work, or even premature roof replacement.
Aside from roof inspection and maintenance, StormROOF Systems, LLC can also handle your roof replacement needs. Look no further for a complete, high-quality roofing system that can deliver decades of worry-free performance. We serve Marietta, GA, and the surrounding areas. Call us today at (470) 300-1768 or fill out our convenient online form to schedule your roof evaluation.